It’s pretty chilly on this side of thew world right now, so here’s a delicious spiced hot chocolate recipe to help you through the winter.
If you’re attempting to make this recipe at home, it won’t be nearly as good if you switch the drinking chocolate for a standard hot chocolate powder. It’s not just about our drinking chocolate being much higher quality, it’s actually a different kind of product with different ingredients and a different processing method. You can read more about this in our previous blog piece.
Ingredients (serves two)
- 300ml oat milk or cow’s milk
- 60g drinking chocolate (choose one that isn’t pre-flavoured)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anse
1. In a medium pot over low heat, whisk together milk, drinking chocolate, vanilla, nutmeg and chilli/cayenne. Stir in cinnamon sticks and star anise and bring to a simmer.
2. Simmer for ten minutes then whisk again, making sure the drinking chocolate is fully blended with the milk.
3. Serve in small cups and grate fresh cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
Note: This recipe is designed to be served in small, intense doses. If you’d prefer a larger cup of less intense hot chocolate, simply add a bit more milk.